Welcome to Joy and Fitness!

These are two things that I need to have in my life. Some times I am great with it but other times I struggle. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2011 in Review

Yes,  I want to jump on the year in review and new year resolution band wagon. I get that I am already late on this post but I just have to put in my thoughts.  You see, New Years is my favorite holiday. I love the chance to look back at the year that was and plan ahead for the coming year.  I am not a big planner but I also want to make sure I do the things I want to do in my life and be the best version of me I can be. To do that I need reminders. But I am jumping the gun a bit here....first the year that was 2011.

This year was full: concerts, big life milestones, highs and lows, friends, new friends, reconnection with friends I thought I lost, new experiences, a regular mediation practice, paleo/primal community and ideas and just SO much learning.

Not to bore you with all the details here are my big 3 stand outs for 2011:

CrossFit: I started in March and it is now one of my favorite things. Finally something that shapes my body in ways that I have been wanting. It doesn't require hours and hours in the gym. I get to lift heavy things on a regular basis - which is a great cure for depression, btw. Plus the people are amazing. I have never had a community around working out before (see the girl in the gym with the head phones on and the "go away" look - yeah, that was me). CrossFit makes you better. Do yourself a favor in 2012 and try it out.

Adventures: Holy cow! I had some amazing adventures in 2012.  Glamping (Glamourous Camping!) with my daughter in Montana, seeing Peter Gabriel at Red Rocks in CO with my bf and a trip to South Beach with an amazing friend to get tattooed by Chris Garver.  There are many more things I could mention here but these were probably at the top.  I think this year really solidified for me that I don't want things. I want experiences. I want shared time with people. It can be something huge like an amazing trip or just a lunch or a quiet walk in the park but shared, present, connected time. That is what I value most.

Progress and crash and burn: Those who know me already know that I am in a constant struggle to find a place where I am happy with my body. (ok - who isn't) This year I had some amazing progress with an all time low weight and fitting into a size 4 pair of jeans for the first time ever.  Paired with that those was some big crashing and burning - binging, depression, complete loss of motivation.  It happened 2 times this year where every thing was going great and I was holding steady on progress and then boom! I fell hard. My task for 2012 is to understand that better and figure out how to avoid it.  I put on 20lbs since my lowest weight this year.  Some of that is muscle, most of it is not. I can't lie it bums me out. It scares me. But I will continue to pick myself up, dust myself off and keep going, hopefully learning all the while.

I was surprised to hear how many people thought 2011 was a bad year. I feel like every year brings amazing things and really hard things. That is life right?

Coming soon - the plan for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment