Welcome to Joy and Fitness!

These are two things that I need to have in my life. Some times I am great with it but other times I struggle. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you!

Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Month of Gratitude

Beautifully, many people used November to share daily gratitude thoughts on Facebook.  I loved it especially in light of all the insanity around the election. This was my first time participating in this practice but I loved how it brought a new dimension to my daily gratitude practice.  If you are not practicing gratitude daily, I highly encourage you to do so. The benefits are multi-fold. Just google and see how many articles there are around the benefits.  For me personally, it brings me to the here and now and makes me love and appreciate every thing I have in my life rather than focusing on what I don't.  As Sheryl Crow says "It's not having what you want, Its wanting what you got"

What are you grateful for?

Here are my 30 days of gratitude posts:

Day 1 I am thankful for my crazy kitties who are a source of whimsy, comfort, joy and some times a little exasperation. :). Feel free to share some thing you are thankful for.

Day 2  I am grateful that I regularly get 8+ hours of sleep. It helps make me healthy... And probably less cranky ... some times. :)

Day 3  I am grateful for my two crossfit homes in Richmond. I am lucky to live in a town that has quite a few crossfit boxes (8 or more?!). Several of these affiliates really work together to create a greater Crossfit community for Richmond. I regularly spend time at two of these gyms CrossFit Midlo and West End CrossFit .  Crossfit Midlo gave me my start. Introduced me to the whole Crossfit movement. The coaches: Kevin, Ryan, Lindsey, Kathy and Tyler have made me a better athlete, a better coach and a better person and I am lucky to also count them as friends.  West End Crossfit has continually made their doors open for me and welcomed me in for what ever I needed: questions, observational coaching, a WOD, time with Mandy. Jen and Tim are warm, generous people and who are damn good coaches. I have really appreciated having them so close as I try to find my work out passion again. ~simply filled with gratitude to these two places - or rather the people who are there, the coaching that they do and the community that they create~

Day 4  I am grateful for my Mom, Dad and 3 sisters. We share a lot of love and laughs and every one is in good health and for that I am very grateful.

Day 5  I am grateful for Metabolic Effect and JillFit Physiques..or really the people who run these fabulous companies. I love Metabolic Effect for several reasons. First off, I really dig what they have to say. Figure out what works for you from an eating perspective (the give you a starting point and tools) plus they advocate lifting heavy weights and short workouts. I have literally given out 20+ copies of their books to people. It is life changing stuff. Second, Jade Anthony Teta and Keoni Teta are some of the most warm and genuine people I have never met. Of course through, ME I found Jill. It is hard to say enough about some one who continually helps to make your life better. First I bought nutrition plans from Jillfit and got to know my amazing coach Jillian Sarno Teta - a beautiful, brilliant, enlightened badass. :) But Jillfit took me so much further than food. It brought community, challenges and focus on something bigger and better - knowing myself and being happier in life. I joined Jill Coleman's coaching group this past year and every month I get better. I have grown in so many ways.I love what Jill is creating in the world. I could go on an on here about more reasons and more people that rock just know that I am deeply grateful each day for having come across this group of amazing, inspiring people.

Day 6  I am grateful that I live in the United States. On this voting day it was the most obvious gratitude choice. While it is by luck of birth that I am here, I do enjoy being in a country where I do get to contribute my voice to who runs the government. I get the freedom of speech to voice the opinions that I want to voice with out fear of imprisonment or censure. I have had a great education which as a woman in this world I feel pretty damn lucky about. I got to choose who I married. I can make choices with my own amazing body - whether that be clothing, tattoos or birth control. I get the freedom of religion where I can practice any religion... or none at all. Many women in other countries don't have the same opportunities/choices for education, marriage, religion or control over their bodies. It is not a perfect country after all it is run by humans - imperfect beings but it is a damn good one that allows me so much and has given me so much. I am grateful to be here in the US.

Day 7  I am grateful that I have an amazing collection...er... group of friends. There are SO many people in my life that just take my breath away with how amazing they are. Smart, funny, warm, radiant, loving, honest, supportive. All different kinds of people and each so beautiful and precious.

Day 8 I am grateful for my husband. No one makes me feel more loved or spoils me more. I am still ridiculously in love with him and just in awe that I get to be his partner in life.

Day 9  I am grateful for my healthy body. It has seen me through so much. Years of soccer, biking riding to my friends house, marching band, step aerobics, weight machines, free weights, kick boxing, growing and birthing my daughter, being really over weight, 2 marathons and countless other runs, hours of sitting on the couch and in front of a computer, crossfit, countless meals and glasses of all kinds of liquids, and tattoos...just to name a few things. I have spent too much time berating it for not looking the way I wanted it to be. All of that was wasted time. All my parts work, my breath is easy and free, my heart beats strong, my muscles get me moving. I am grateful for it. ♥ What are you grateful for today?

Day 10  I am grateful for half and half. Yes, some times the little things mean so much. I am a big tea and cream kind of girl.(Or as my friends have some times pointed out I like to have a little bit of tea with my cream.) I have always loved half and half. I have very early memories of hitting those little creamers from restaurant tables. That amazing little burst of creamy goodness. It makes my brain happy.

Day 11  I am grateful for the men and women who have served and serve today in the armed forces. I would love it if we could live in a world where the military was not needed to keep the peace and resolve conflicts and disputes but that is not yet the case. Given that, I am thankful that there are those willing to go out and serve for their country. Thankful for their sacrifices and commitment. What are you grateful for today?

Day 12  I am grateful for water. In this country we have more access to clean water than most. I start my day with a big glass of water to rehydrate and refresh in the morning. Water is the base for all the yummy teas I drink.

Day 13  I am grateful for my sweet baby girl. Ok, she is not a baby girl any more but she will always be that to me. I stand in awe of the person that she has grown to be - smart, curious, self-aware, wicked sense of humor, beautiful, loving, affectionate, driven. My heart is bursting with joy thinking of her.

Day 14  I am grateful for my big comfy bed. I am not feeling well today and haven't been sleeping well this week and yet it hasn't complained that I have been thrashing around restlessly in it even once. :) Seriously, I am glad I have a safe warm bed to crawl into every night.

Day 15  I am grateful for people who have skills that I don't. I mean if society was dependent on me to design a car or computer... we would all be in trouble. My mind can't even wrap around how some of the things we use every day even works. I am thankful that there are those inventors and innovators with all kinds of skills and perspectives that make awesome things...or even mundane things.

Day 16  I am grateful for music. I love that just hearing the right song can turn a shitty day in to a dance party or move you to tears and give you goose bumps Music can totally change the motivation and effort in a workout. I got to see Peter Gabriel and Duran Duran in concert this year. Two big long time musical loves for me and seeing them in person was a high light. It is a part of my every day life and I love it.

Day 17  I am grateful a quiet start to the day. I love having my own time in the morning to get a little walk in, focus my positive attitude for the day, dwell on some gratitude and refuel my bod with some good food.

Day 18 I am grateful for double unders. For those of you not familiar with them it is simply the act of jumping rope and letting the rope pass twice under your feet with one jump. Sounds delightfully simple, yes? It is the skill I have been working on with intensity recently with the goal of doing 25 every day. What a learning experience that goal is providing. No exercise floods me with frustration like this one does. Some days I can get a few and some days it looks like I have never held a jump rope. I am grateful for the opportunity to have more presence with how I am holding my body, how high my feet are leaving the floor, where my hands are, what the frustration and struggle teaches me. After all it is the struggle that teaches. I am struggling there fore I am learning. :)

Day 19  I am grateful for getting to do what I love in coaching crossfit and personal training. It is fun helping people learn to move better, feel better, get stronger and do things they didn't think they could do. Plus I get the bonus of learning a ton by teaching.

Day 20  I am grateful for the constant movement of life. I am talking about the ups and downs, ins and outs. I used to hate it and rebel against it. I mean wouldn't it feel great to be happy and content 100% of the time? But that is not how we experience life. It has highs and lows, amazing experiences and experiences that bring us to our knees. Everything changes and flows. How can I appreciate how much I love that I get excited to go lift, if some days I really don't want to go? How much would I wrap my arms around energetic, productive days if I didn't also have days where my energy was barely enough to get me off the couch. Would I enjoy deeply connecting with my friends if I didn't also have times of being completely alone? What ever mood or place you are in today, it will shift and be different in a few minutes or a few days. It makes each moment that much more precious to me.

Day 21 I am grateful for my neighborhood. It is quiet and small and has been quickly filled with families that all seem to be nice people. This is the neighborhood I wanted 19 years ago when my daughter was tiny so that she could grow up in a safe place to ride her bike and play with tons of other kids. Too late for that part but it is a great place all the same.

Day 22  I am grateful for an actual day of thanks. I hope every one is surrounded by family, friends, food, warmth and love today. While I think gratitude should be a daily practice, I am thankful for day that allows people pause to think about what they are thankful for in their lives.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Day 23  I am grateful for the perfect evening with friends.

Day 24  Today I am grateful for the people who lead the way in change. I was reminded about this theme after watching Lincoln. I don't know that I have the bravery and courage and stamina that it takes to be at the leading edge of fighting for equal rights but I am so grateful that there people who are willing to lead in this space.

Day 25  Today I am grateful for books. So much learning or mindless escapism. :) I love getting wrapped up in a great book.

Day 26 I am thankful for laughter. I love sharing giggles with friends, laughing with joy at seeing a favorite person enter the room or just cutting up and being silly. As my husband will tell you, I think I am very funny and I crack myself up all the time. :D I love to laugh until I cry and my jaw and abs ache. I love the way genuine laughter can make you feel.

Day 27  I am thankful for an endless inspiring supply of paleo recipes on the internet. Since moving more to eating this way, I have really learned a ton about cooking. While I have purchased some cook books, I love googling for ideas. Today was breakfast chili and pumpkin granola. Yummers. Helps keep my body fueled and healthy. Thank you to all those paleo chefs out there keeping me inspired and well fed.

Day 28  I am thankful for my home gym. It makes me happy...not to mention healthier and stronger. While I love going to a CF box to work out it is nice to have something here to use.

Day 29  I am grateful for delightful connection time with some one who means a ton to me. I love my friends. I love time with my friends. It makes my heart happy.

Day 30 I am grateful for being alive for another day. We all know that life can change in an instant. So the fact I got to post every day about gratitude this month and woke up this morning and so far lived out this day is pretty cool to me.

1 comment: