Welcome to Joy and Fitness!

These are two things that I need to have in my life. Some times I am great with it but other times I struggle. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Round 2 weeks 6 & 7: We All Fall

I am happy to report that the past two weeks of my program provided me with a BIG learning opportunity. I am laughing as I type that as I was pretty miserable during these 2 weeks but happy now to be on the other side and really learned from the experience.

I entered week 6 with boredom and dread. I don't like keeping my routines the same for very long. I found myself not looking forward to getting myself to the gym. I love working out so it drives me crazy when I dread it. Then mid-week of week 6, I got a cold. I never get sick and this knocked me to my knees. Of course the timing being awesome, in the throws of a cold, I attended a conference for personal trainers. I had an amazing weekend and learned a ton. As you might imagine at a conference for personal trainers it was working out fairly constantly for 2.5 days. Now my body was worn out in addition to feeling the burden of not wanting to workout.

At the end of week 6, the binge gates opened. Eating clean for me has become routine and fairly easy for me so I was surprised when this behavior surfaced.
Saturday night I went to a new restaurant with a friend had a yummy gluten free treat meal (cheese plate, crepes). Afterwards, I joined up with some friends to watch the UFC fights that night. I felt the need for more food in the worst, deep way....a burning desire to open the flood gates. I had chips and salsa and shared a dessert. I got home and I needed more... that urgent rush of food.... I turned to a favorite combo of peanut butter and raw oatmeal with some honey. Some how, I finally stopped and went to bed.

Next morning I woke up and started fresh... full veggie egg white omelet, oat bran - my usual. I was fine until that evening then I felt that pulling hunger... no I am not sure I can call it hunger.. I was very aware during all of this eating that the primal feeling I was feeling was not hunger but I ate anyway. That night my other favorite food combo - peanut butter (trigger food anyone?) with rice cakes - some times with chocolate and a time with marshmallow fluff that my daughter had purchased. Whoa.. it was crazy and felt unstoppable.
I texted my coach.... she told me to not beat myself up and start fresh again in the morning (are you picking up on the best way to recover from over eating?). So I did. It took me a few days to recover from this binge and bring my eating back to 100% compliance.

When I look to the reasons I can see that I was headed for it for a while:
  • I had been sick - not getting the sleep I needed plus working out and not resting when I had a pretty bad cold
  • For the past few weeks for what ever reason, I was not getting all my meals in so I was running at a bigger calorie defect than I should have
  • I was feeling a little frustrated with my workouts and my slow process (consistent progress just not at the rate that I was wanting - but guess what? despite what the Biggest Loser shows you... body transformations TAKE TIME!)
So week 7, I changed up completely. I did some completely different workouts. I didn't make myself go into the gym if I was dreading it (fortunately I have a sweet set up for working out at home). I allowed myself some extra rest and have been making sure that I am getting all my calories in most days.

I am now facing week 8 with 4 weeks left to go in this round. I am read to face it and push hard to the end. I am pretty damn excited for it! I probably would not be had it not been for my stumble and making myself learn from it. We all fall... and we can all pick ourselves up, take a deep breath, learn and continue on.

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment