Welcome to Joy and Fitness!

These are two things that I need to have in my life. Some times I am great with it but other times I struggle. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Self Talk: I got this!

I have been thinking a lot recently about self talk. I have come a long way in this area as I used to be pretty hard on myself.  However, it was a recent podcast from Leigh Peele that reminded me I could be doing better.  I am more than the number on the scale. There are more important things than the fact that I don't have wash board, magazine cover-worthy abs.  I had already decided that I would focus this month on not letting any negative comments about my body pass through my head - or I would quickly catch myself and counter them.

This morning reminded me that I needed to take this even further.  There was a Crossfit workout posted that scared me. My immediate thought was "I can't do that.  That is impossible." I was filled with fear and anxiety.

But you know what? There has not been one work out posted that I haven't managed to get through. It might not always be pretty but dammit I have done it.

So I am extending my positive self talk to my work out prep - No more "I can't do this".
Instead:
"I've got this!"
"I can do this!"
"I will conquer it!"
"The bar is light"
and what ever else I need I keep it positive.

How do you manage your self talk? How do you get yourself through the tough spots?

No comments:

Post a Comment