Welcome to Joy and Fitness!

These are two things that I need to have in my life. Some times I am great with it but other times I struggle. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Highlights from the 2012 Arnold Sports Festival

I had been excited to go for months so I knew this past weekend at The Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus Ohio was going to be a good one. It ended up being amazing. If you have never been and have any interest in really almost any aspect of fitness, it is worth checking out.  I went last year for 1 day and knew this year I needed the whole weekend. This weekend was so full of amazing connections, people, lessons and experiences.
Here are a few of my highlights:

  •  Meeting and getting to watch the work outs of some of the top of the top Crossfitters - amazing athletes and very nice people! 
  •  Judging Crossfit for the first time - I was so nervous but so happy to have gotten this under my belt. I learned more every round I did and I didn't screwed up any one's score in the process.
  •  Competing on Saturday for the Games 12.2 work out - Facing the scariness makes you grow. I grew this weekend.  Also it continued to reenforce for me the fabulous-ness of the Crossfit community.
  •  Time with friends - I had some great conversations with friends I have had for a long time, some one I was just getting to know and one on one time with a person who continually inspires me. I felt honored to connect and get time with each of these people
  •  Time with a mentor - Nick Tumminello was up at the Arnold this year teaching at the personal trainer conference. I have had the fortune to connect with Nick a few times but this was a cool chance to get some time in a more relaxed setting. He is so friggin' smart about this training stuff. It is hard for me not to feel completely stupid around him but I loved the time anyway! :) 
  •  The Strikeforce Fights - We all went to the fights on Saturday and it was a great time to see a new woman champion take the belt and to see all the fun people at the fights. Amazing night! 
  • Clarity - We went to the figure finals judging this year.  It was awesome to see all those women on stage showing off their hard work.  Competing in figure is something I have tried to convince myself I "should" do for several years now.  This year after seeing it again and having a year of Crossfit experience under my belt, I was able to just let that go completely. I want to be strong and I would love to be ripped but my goals are different than those that were up on stage. It was great to get clarity around that. 


There is more I could mention (cake batter vodka, anyone?) here but those are the big high lights!

I loved it. I am still on a high from it and I can't wait for next year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment