Welcome to Joy and Fitness!

These are two things that I need to have in my life. Some times I am great with it but other times I struggle. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Check In and Start Again

This past month for me has been interesting. It turned out differently than I thought when I started on my little experiment to lean out joyfully.

Here are the new habits I worked on over the past month:

  • 15-30 minute slow paced, stress reducing walks daily
  • 1-4 Snatches and overhead squats daily starting at 65lbs and increasing weight each 1 or 2 weeks
  • Start taking CLA supplement (supposedly good for fat metabolism)


Here are the results of those actions:

  • I was successful in keeping daily walks which I just loved and connected with in ways that I didn't expect.  I used this time to connect with nature a bit more, breathe deep and be present and having some extra peaceful times with my husband when ever he joined me. 
  • I didn't end up snatching with weight every day. That plan changed rapidly when I realized my squat/overhead squat form was pretty poor.  I needed to take a step back.  I spent the month doing 5-10 squats daily as close to the wall as I can, really working on keeping my torso up right. It was hard. I also spent some time hanging out in the bottom of the squat - increasing my hip flexibility.  It all felt worth while when  demonstrating air squats today in class I could feel that I have gotten better.  My torso just stayed straight up!! I want to keep this up!
  • I did take CLA. I am not sure it has changed anything other than killing my appetite and making me feel sick to my stomach some times.  Not sure I am going to continue this but not sure 4 weeks is enough time to see if a supplement is working.

My measurements changed slightly but nothing worth giving the details on here.  That is almost beside the point for me. I got more out of this past month than what the numbers reflect.

The biggest gifts over the past month:


1) Finding the Perfect blog post from Zen Habits. I read it every day. I have made "I am already good enough. I am already have more than enough. I am already perfect" a mantra for myself that I turn to often. I'm focusing on doing things...anything really... because I love it and I am passionate about it, not because I have to be better. Its changing things and that is exciting.

2) I put an infrastructure in place for me to be successful in implementing the habits I wanted to work on over the past month. I set up my calendar so I knew daily and weekly what I wanted to do and had regular check ins scheduled for myself. That proved to be HUGE in keeping me on track.  I often start experiments and new habits only to have them peter out after a few days or a week.  I will definitely continue to this!! Love it.

Spending time in the next few days figuring out what I want to focus on next. Pretty pumped about it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment