Welcome to Joy and Fitness!

These are two things that I need to have in my life. Some times I am great with it but other times I struggle. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Latest Experiment - Update week 4


Week 4 updates of my leaning out joyfully (possible, right?)

Four weeks ago,  I wrote about a plan I had put together to lean up a bit for an upcoming photo shoot and some other events happening later on this year.  In that I had promised weekly check-ins, more for my accountability than your interest but here it is anyway.

Thoughts for this week:

I have been in a battle with myself this week.  The photo shoot is getting closer and I waiver between leaning out joyfully and trying to convince myself to log all my food, track my macro ratios and start taking fat burners to get to this photo shoot as lean as I can possibly get.  The struggle between wanting a super lean beautiful body and feeling the unhappiness of it to dedicate all my time and energies getting to that place. At the end of the day washboard abs, although beautiful, are not what is meaningful to me. What really makes me happy is connecting with joy through doing things that I love: good, open conversations with people, lifting heavy weights, helping people connect with health and happiness, being a cheerleader and a source of positive encouragement for others, make sure those closest to me feel loved and taken care of, being present in what ever I am doing and working to accept that I am enough exactly as I am. 

Its funny that I feel like I have to explain that even though I am not chasing 13% body fat, I am not slacking off. I am still healthy and want to be.  Just because I am not counting calories or know what my macro ratios are on a given day doesn't mean that I am busy stuffing junk down my gullet or that I have given up.  

I have been reading this Zen Habits blog post every day so far in the month of May and spending time internally processing it:  http://zenhabits.net/perfect/   Take time to read that post. Its amazing and powerful beyond measure. 

There is a paragraph in there that makes my heart sing: 

"You are now free to do things, not because you want to be better, but because you love it. Because you're passionate about it, and it give you joy. Because it's a miracle that you even can do it"

THAT is how I want to be spending my time on things that I am passionate about and because I love it.

I love filling my body with healthy food, I don't love obsessing over calories
I love lifting heavy and going to my crossfit classes, I don't love stressing if I should be doing more to be leaner
I love being present in the moment, I don't love beating the crap out of myself for not being leaner or where I "should" be.

Also from the Zen Habits post:  "A powerful realization that has helped me is simply this: You're already good enough, you already have more than enough, and you're already perfect"

Breathe and take that thought in.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment